Our drafting group of national urban and community forest stakeholders has developed two urban forest protocols, one for tree planting projects and one for tree preservation projects. These urban forest Protocols set out the rules that projects must follow in order to earn certified carbon credits. These rules outline:
- Where do the projects occur?
- How long do projects have to last?
- When does a project receive credits?
- How is the carbon quantified?
Our Protocols feature:
- New, streamlined quantification methods for planting projects using both a single tree method and a canopy method, along with spreadsheets that include all steps from data collection to calculation of CO₂
- A first-ever urban tree preservation protocol (“avoided conversion”)
Posted now are updated versions of the Preservation Protocols as of August 2018. We have also provided short summaries of protocol requirements for those of you who want something more succinct. We'll be posting an updated version of our Planting Protocol soon.
If you have questions or comments on the Protocols, please use the submittal form below or email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org