Project LocationElizabeth Township, PA
Project OperatorAllegheny Land Trust
Project ContactAlyson Fearon email@example.com
Outside Pittsburgh, Allegheny Land Trust protected 124 acres of woodlands from rapid encroaching residential development in southeastern Allegheny County. The 40 year old maple, cherry and oak-hickory forest provides habitat for deer, turkey, and many species of birds. Hikers, birders, and mountain bikers will be able to explore the area, and possibly catch a glimpse of a majestic 200 year old oak tree.
Protection of this forest also contributes to maintaining clean drinking water for Pittsburgh region’s residents. Located within the lower Youghiogheny River Watershed, the property is five miles upstream from the confluence with the Monongahela River.
Revenue generated from the sale of carbon credits will be put towards acquisition costs, land stewardship, and future expansion of this and other conservation lands.
The preservation of the 124-acre forest at Buena Vista Heights Conservation Area will provide cleaner air and water to the residents of Southwestern Pennsylvania, stormwater management, and energy savings.
The co-benefits from this project provide a total savings (avoided costs) of $288,364 per year, and $11,631,889 over 40 years.
- Rain interception: 63,375 m3/year, $133,951 per year
- Air quality: 4.37 tons/year, $10,778 per year
- Energy – cooling (electricity): 192,440 kWh/year, $26,960 per year
- Energy – heating (natural gas): 7,966,028 kBtu/year, $111,415 per year
- Avoided CO2 from energy savings: 262.9 tons/year, $5,258.29
Total Credits Issued: 13,966
- 2020: 5,635 credits issued
- 2021: 5,635 credits issued
- 2022: 2,696 credits issued
Total Credits Sold: 11,320
- 2020: 500 credits sold
- 2021: 8,196 credits sold
- 2022: 2,624 credits sold
Total Credits Retired: 3,611
- 2020: 500 credits retired
- 2021: 2,561 credits retired
- 2022: 550 credits retired
Total Credits Cancelled: 0
Total Credits Available for Purchase: 2,646