What Are Carbon+ Credits?
Trees in urban areas deliver enormous benefits to their residents, yet they receive very little funding. Trees are a cost or expense to cities, but the benefits of trees do not appear on their financial reports at all. With City Forest Credits, local and national companies can buy Carbon+ Credits from local projects and thereby invest efficiently and reliably in local projects that help keep our cities and towns green, equitable, and livable.
The scientists and national drafting group at City Forest Credits (see Who We Are) developed specialized and charismatic credits that deliver a suite of ecosystem benefits to residents of cities and towns, where they are needed most. In this uniquely bundled Credit, some of the benefits of urban trees are quantified as a credit – a standardized unit of value that represents real trees being planted or preserved in cities and towns across America.
Each City Forest Carbon+ Credit includes:
- A metric ton of CO₂
- Rainfall interception in cubic meters/year
- Air quality benefits in tons/year for O3, NOx, PM10, and Net VOCs
- Energy savings in kWh/yr and kBtu/yr
Why are they called Carbon+? Because urban forests deliver a variety of other benefits:
- Social and environmental equity in disadvantaged communities, many of which have fewer trees than affluent communities
- Slope stabilization
- Bird and pollinator habitat
- Improved human health and happiness
why choose Carbon+ Credits?
- Local Urban Greening of Cities -- projects are implemented locally, with visible and quantified ecosystem benefits.
- Community Outreach -- companies can buy credits in cities where they operate and their customers and employees live. Both your dollars and the environmental benefits stay local.
- Carbon+ -- our Credits are uniquely bundled to include quantified stormwater reduction, air quality benefits, and energy savings (cooling), along with a quantified metric ton of CO₂.
- Long-Term Positive Media -- as a park, riparian area, open space, or neighborhood is transformed over time, favorable media extends to local officials and NGO's implementing the projects, community leaders, and your company.
- Local to Global -- our Credits enable local projects to deliver local benefits that also address the global climate problem through a national, non-profit organization.